Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Peach Preserves On The Cheap

Figuring out how to maximize the food dollar is pretty important here in the Jumper homestead. Especially as El Duque (my husband) is a big man, with an appetite to match. My wish to economize tends to war with his wish to be well fed. 

So, I'm trying an experiment this month. I figured that we eat out twice a week, which means that I need vittles for dinners 22 of the month's 30 days ... give or take. So, I've taken to menu planning. After nearly four years of cooking dinners, I have a pretty good idea of what El Duque likes to eat, and what I like to eat, as well, which has made figuring out protein for a month not too hard. 

I figure I'll get fresh stuff once a week - veggies and fruit. I bought a bunch of fruit this past weekend, to see how long it lasts. Nectarines, peaches, apricots, pears. Pears are really not in season right now, so I'll probably not eat them until the yummy juicy fruits are et. Apricots are already gone, so I'll see how long the nectarines and peaches last. Hopefully, I can cut my monthly food bill down another $50 this month.

I miss my NYC farmer's markets a LOT, but Chicago has them, too. Back in NY, I used to wait until just before the market closed, when vendors wanted to get rid of stuff, and pick up shleppy fruit cheap. I'd get all these lovely overripe drippy peaches, take them home, and make peach preserves. Ahh. Summer in a jar. There's no real need to buy pectin - peaches have natural pectin, so it jams nicely. And it's super simple to make. 

Cheap Peach Preserves

Get as many shleppy overripe peaches as you can. 
Stone the peaches, then cut them up till you've hit the 2 c mark in a Pyrex pitcher. No need to peel them.
Dump em in a bowl.
Mix in 1 1/2 c sugar (you can use less if the peaches are very sweet - you'll figure out what you like). 
Mix in 1 T lemon juice (can use RealLemon).
Let this mixture stand at room temp for about 2 hours. (Cover with plastic wrap)
Pour into a saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a slow boil and cook, uncovered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the fruit is translucent.
Pour into a clean jar.
Makes about 2 cups.
And it is ambrosial. 

I'll be heading out to a local farmer's market this Saturday. Hopefully, I'll find some nice shleppy peaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment